Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Virtual Worlds...right on time



After the great presentation in class last week I thought this would fit in perfectly with what we have been learning about! Although there are already hundreds of virtual worlds already set up "Big Media Players Going 'Virtual' for Kids" is the topic of this MediaWeek article.

I have honestly never visited a virtual world site, even though I always remind myself to while I am having a discussion about them with someone else, but then I always forget... I always have a lot going on and I really can't imagine having enough time to just hang out in a second world. Sure, if I had two of me I'd love to create another, better me to play with...but I don't see that happening anytime soon. But either way- tons of people do have the time and obviously they love doing the virtual world thing cause it is still growing like crazy!

Today there are virtual worlds designed for any target- older adults, young children and all ages in between. People from different ages visit and participate is other sites as well. The bigger media companies are now targeting mainly 'tweens' which are 8-12 year olds. This is actually probably the best market because these kids don't have a lot of homework to do, money to go out, or even cars to leave with. They sit at home until their parents get home from work and what better to do then play on the computer?

I really do want to discover what this virtual world thing is all about, and maybe this blog will finally push me over to edge to actually put the time into explore. Companies are putting a lot of money into them...so there has to be something cool there, right?

No comments: